Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Confused Yourself? Your Students? That's Great!

Recent research from brain scientists tell us that although confusion seems like an obstacle it really is a positive when it comes to learning.  So often we as teachers present problem solving situations with as little confusion as possible.  That could well be the wrong approach.  Although this article is written for adults, the basic themes and strategies can be transferred to students.  However, it's best to try them yourselves.  Then as you find out how they work, you can teach them to your students.
Very interesting!  Well worth reading and experimenting.  (Check out the embedded links.)

Why Confusion Can Be a Good Thing.  Annie Murphy Paul. 2.18.13.  Mind/Shift
http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2013/02/why-confusion-can-be-a-good-thing/



1 comment:

  1. This article was very informative to me. I particularly like the thought of testing yourself when you go to google something. I'm going to mention this to my classes to get their opinion. I'd like to see if my students question themselves before they google something for an answer.

    ReplyDelete