Friday, September 21, 2012

How Does It Feel for Homeless Student?

This is a "Wow" article and an eye-opener for some of our teachers in our schools who have students living in poverty and sometimes homeless.  Armando Gutierrez writes this sensitive piece from one student's point of view.  Not to be missed! 
What ideas can you share with your colleagues that may help other students like this?

You Don't Know Me. Armando Glutierrez. 9.19.12  Education Week
http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2012/09/19/04gutierrez.h32.html?tkn=NSSFNJfWnYttAFmAubpWQp5rHROnks5eBscz&cmp=ENL-EU-VIEWS1

1 comment:

  1. "Wow" is right! I got goosebumps! This article reminded me of a story...
    A few years ago, I taught a little 3rd grade girl who was the youngest in a large family and often times was not dressed appropriately for the weather. "Sara" wore her much older sister's clothing, but it was practically falling off of her because it was so large. I talked with Sara's mom during conferences and she told me that Sara doesn't have many clothes because of their family situation. Touched by her story, I offered to bring in some second-hand clothing that would fit Sara much better. Sara's mom began crying from my generous offer! I went to a neighbor's rummage sale a week later and bought t-shirts and sweatshirts for 25-75 cents each. I brought in the clothes and had Sara try them on during recess time (so other student's didn't know) and she LOVED them! A few "new" sweatshirts and t-shirts made a world of difference to not only Sara, but also her entire family. I had no idea her family was in that much need and how much my offer meant to them.
    Sara's mom gave me a piece of advice. She said not to ignore extreme poverty in the classroom. She said to talk to the student in private about how they're dressed or whatever it may be. Bring the issue out so the student knows you're aware of it, then they don't feel like they have to hide who they are. I've found this to be really good advice.

    ReplyDelete