Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Giving Voice and Choice to Students

Have ;you every been asked a question by a student that you don't know anything about?  What was your response?  Might have been " I don't know."  Then because you are such a 'wonderful teacher', you then asked, "Who knows something about this that they can share?"  Now you've got the ball rolling......
The author of this article proposes 5 ways to get that ball rolling in transforming the learning space you share with your students into a place where you serve as facilitator and guide, presenter or instructor.  This artical is not to be missed because all of us, I'm sure have been in this postiton sometimes.
After reading the article, please post you comments below.

5 Ways to Give Your Students More Voice and Choice. Rebecca Alber.  3.31.14. Edutopia. 
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/five-strategies-more-voice-choice-students-rebecca-alber

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this article! The title caught my attention because I believe student choice is important within a reading program, and I've had success with my students with a choice-driven reading project that I've used as a semester final project. I also feel that encouraging students to collaborate on choosing topics to explore and processes for study is very important as it engages students more actively in their learning as well as promotes better retention of what has been learned and discovered. I like the links this article shared, and enjoyed browsing the articles of the week from Kelly Gallagher's website. It is always nice to find new resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet for you input. I agree that when students have choices, they are much better engaged.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete