Thursday, October 3, 2013

Proven Tactic to Relieve Stress Before Taking Tests

Writing down stresses and worries for 10 minutes before testing results in higher test scores, University of Chicago psychological scientists discovered with high school and college students.

[Personally, I can identify with the thought behind this technique.  When I was director of a LEX prescription center, I would greet the students coming into the room.  I could easily spot students who looked worried or distracted about something.  I asked them to give me their worries and I'll put them in my pocket  (pretend...not real).  I'd extend my hand and the child would extend his/hers & I'd put their worries in my pocket.  At the end of the session I'd ask the student, "Do you want to take your worries back with you?"  The result of this little drama is that kids really did improve their attitude and tried harder.  Today, if I was a teacher I'd have a "Worry Basket" at the door where students could put their worries in and take them back with them when they left.  (I never asked to write them down.)]

Take note of simple tactic to beat test stress - Study:  Students who write about worries before exam score higher. Tara Malone. 1.13.11.  Chicago Tribune News
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-01-13/news/ct-met-talk-test-stress-0114-20110113_1_test-stress-worries-exam

No comments:

Post a Comment